How Our Program Works
A Longer Stay for Better Recovery
Research shows long-term residential recovery substantially increases the chance of sustained sobriety and that participants of long-term recovery programs report better “quality of life.” Long-term residential recovery programs go beyond the cravings and obsessions of alcoholism and drug addiction.
We work with guests and their families to discover the right length of stay for the best chance of staying recovered. In addition to 60-day and 90-day programs, there are even longer periods for those who need it.
Recovery, Community and Service
The Discovery Place Long-Term Program builds on the pillars of recovery, community and service introduced in our 30-day program. Guests learn fundamental life skills in a positive environment of responsibility and accountability. Healthy daily habits practiced in the spirit of recovery prepare them for a smoother transition back to “the real world.”
A Day in the Life of Our Long-Term Program
Guests live near the Discovery Place main 30-day campus in nearby Dickson, Tennessee, home to a thriving Middle Tennessee recovery community. Staff members are on site 24 hours a day.
We go to movies, bowling alleys, and sporting events including Nashville Predators hockey and Sounds baseball. We take canoe trips, play Airsoft, and gather to listen to inspiring speakers on Fellowship Nights. Some of us take our swings at the golf driving range while others head to the Powerhouse 24-hour gym at no cost.
We travel to outside Twelve-Step meetings, workshops, speaker meetings, and alumni events. Evenings, we gather for a fireside wrap-up to review the day as outlined in Step of Ten of the Twelve Steps. We celebrate personal successes while recognizing our failures in harmony with the principles of honesty, openness, and willingness.
Service often a part of the day. Guests discover a new sense of self worth by their work with Second Harvest Food Bank, The Contributor, Tennessee drug courts, and other organizations.
Guests meet weekly with Nick Bullock, head long-term recovery guide, to participate in the purchase, preparation, and clean up of meals. Some days we head over to the main Discovery campus dining room or a local restaurant.
60 and 90 Day Programs
A long-term recovery program is unquestionably the best choice for men with a history of relapse and a prudent one for those getting sober for the first time. Men learn to live responsibly while practicing the Twelve Steps and their principles as a way of life—what we sometimes call a design for living that works. They develop meaningful relationships during personal instruction for skills in stress reduction, physical and mental wellness, and relapse prevention.
Discovery Place Long-Term Recovery Advantages
- Tightly-knit yet uncrowded living. Each home has a maximum of six residents to foster strong community with plenty of one-on-one mentorship
- Leadership roles with new Discovery Place guests to help others get sober
- Integration into Middle Tennessee’s thriving recovery community
- Service opportunities with local nonprofit organizations
- Assistance with living arrangements after graduation
- Assistance with job placement after graduation, including transportation to job interviews
- Weekly personal sessions with members of the Middle Tennessee recovery community
- Sponsorship in the use of the 12 steps for sustained sobriety
- Time for the body and mind to heal from the damage inflicted by substance abuse
- Structure that simulates the schedule and demands of the “real world”
- Amenities including a small golf driving range, outdoor fire pit, beach volleyball and cable television
- Regular trips to the gym
- The absolute best chance for sustained sobriety